- CONTACT US
- AFS
- Business
- Bussiness
- Car
- Career
- Celebrity
- Digital Products
- Education
- Entertainment
- Fashion
- Film
- Food
- Fun
- Games
- General Health
- Health
- Health Awareness
- Healthy
- Healthy Lifestyle
- History Facts
- Household Appliances
- Internet
- Investment
- Law
- Lifestyle
- Loans&Mortgages
- Luxury Life Style
- movie
- Music
- Nature
- News
- Opinion
- Pet
- Plant
- Politics
- Recommends
- Science
- Self-care
- services
- Smart Phone
- Sports
- Style
- Technology
- tire
- Travel
- US
- World

Australia has seen a spike in misinformation related to fabricated traffic rules -- the latest includes a purported new national law that requires drivers to keep their headlights on at all times. A review of each state's and territory's latest traffic regulations reveals there have been no changes to when motorists should turn on their headlights -- at night and in bad weather.
"From November 5, 2025, Australian drivers must have their headlights on at all times while driving to increase visibility and reduce accidents," reads a November 3, 2025 Facebook post, with the Adelaide-based user adding that non-compliance with "the new law" carries a fine of A$250 ($164).
The false post echoes many websites announcing similar claims -- though the exact start date for the supposed new legislation varies, with some saying it would begin on November 1 while another said November 15.
Australian media have recently reported on a proliferation of fake road rules debunked by transport authorities -- including a purported night curfew for drivers over 60 years old, and new fines for drivers eating, drinking or smoking at the wheel (archived here and here).
Josh Murray, transport secretary of Australia's most populous New South Wales (NSW) state said the fabricated rule -- along with other similar claims circulating online -- is false.
"We recommend relying on a trusted source, like the NSW Government website, to get the right advice and correct information," he told AFP on November 5.
Georgia Linnell, a media spokesperson for the neighbouring Victoria state's transport and planning department, also pointed AFP to rules on the department's website stipulating drivers in the state must use headlights at night and in "hazardous conditions with reduced visibility" (archived link).
This is similar to local laws in other parts of Australia, including in Queensland, the Australian Capital Territory, Tasmania, Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia (archived here, here, here, here, here and here).
None of them mentions the lights must be on at all times.
AFP found that many of the sites spreading the false claim are linked to a WhatsApp channel that appears to promote financial schemes.
These campaigns would be "a profitable exercise" by generating traffic to web pages, according to Sabrina Caldwell, a researcher on disinformation at The Australian National University (archived link).
"And the old rule is still true -- if it looks too good to believe or too weird to believe, then it's probably not true," she told AFP by phone on November 7.
AFP has previously fact-checked claims about Australian legislation.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
How to watch 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' for less with this Apple TV Black Friday deal - 2
This Underrated Italian City Boasts Indulgent Food & Captivating Views For A Romantic Escape - 3
Tens of thousands protest as far-right AfD forms new youth group - 4
Far-right German youth group delegates seek deportations, remigration - 5
Israeli president concerned over proposed renaming of park
At least 36 dead in major fire in Hong Kong residential blocks
Pope Leo XIV calls for urgent climate action and says God’s creation is 'crying out'
Former Peruvian President Pedro Castillo sentenced for conspiracy
Witness the elegance of the cosmic butterfly in a remarkable telescope photo
Ukraine proved this drone-killer works. Now, the West is giving it a shot.
New Gaza militia declares war on Hamas: 'Your dirty shoes are more honorable'
Hamas propaganda expert explains Israel's internal conflicts influenced Hamas's Oct. 7 assault
One third of Spanish pork export certificates blocked since swine fever outbreak, minister says
World leaders, rights groups react to COP30 climate deal













